When your computer is first turned on, you will be prompted to enter a PIN number. This provides some protection against unwanted access by the wrong people. How do I fix this problem?
Something happened and your pin isn’t available. This could be because you have lost access to your device or because of a password reset. Read more in detail here: something happened and your pin isn’t available.
Milan Stanojevic is a writer who lives in Belgrade, Serbia.
Expert in Windows and Software
Milan has been fascinated by computers since he was a youngster, and this has led him to be interested in all PC-related technology. He worked as a front-end web developer before joining WindowsReport. Continue reading
This page was last updated on November 3, 2021.
Originally published in February 2021.
- If your Windows 10 PIN isn’t functioning, it might be due to a variety of factors, including an invalid PIN.
- Empty the Ngc folder as indicated in our method below to repair the Windows 10 PIN not functioning problem.
- You may be able to solve the issue with the Windows Hello PIN not functioning by recreating the PIN.
- Signing in using a different method is also a viable alternative for resolving this vexing issue.
BY CLICKING ON THE DOWNLOAD FILE, YOU CAN INSTALL XINSTALL.
We propose Restoro PC Repair Tool to address a variety of PC issues: This program will fix common computer faults, protect you against file loss, viruses, and hardware failure, and optimize your PC to run at its best. In three simple actions, you can immediately fix PC problems and eradicate viruses:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool, which includes patent-pending technologies (patent available here).
- To detect Windows faults that may be causing PC difficulties, click Start Scan.
- To correct problems that are hurting your computer’s security and performance, click Repair All.
- This month, 0 readers have downloaded Restoro.
Windows 10 enables users to lock their operating system using a PIN, much like its predecessor.
Many users choose PIN over a lengthy password since it’s easier to remember, but what can you do if your PIN doesn’t work with Windows 10?
What can I do if my PIN in Windows 10 isn’t working?
- Delete all of the files in the Ngc folder.
- Remove your antivirus software.
- Make a new PIN.
- From the login page, choose Sign-in choices.
- Use I misplaced my PIN option
- Dell Data Protection security tools should be uninstalled.
- Revert to a prior build.
- Use the keyboard that appears on the screen.
- Remove the battery from your laptop for the time being.
- Set up a local account.
- Modify the Group Policy settings.
- Change the IPsec Policy Agent’s startup type.
- In the PIN step, restart your computer.
1. Delete all of the files in the Ngc folder.
1.1 Go to the Ngc folder and erase everything in there.
- To log in to Windows 10, type your password.
- Navigate to LocalMicrosoft in File Explorer.
- Choose Properties from the context menu when you right-click the Ngc folder.
- Go to the Security tab and choose Advanced from the drop-down menu.
- Click Change link in the Owner column at the top.
- In If you’re using an administrator account, enter the object name to choose Administrators, or your username, and then click Check Names and OK.
- Replace owner on subcontainers and objects is checked, and then click Apply and OK.
- You should now be able to access the Ngc folder.
- Select all files and directories in the Ngc folder and remove them after opening it.
If you can’t get into Windows 10 with your PIN, you need enter the Ngc folder and delete everything in it.
You may generate a new PIN for your Windows 10 device once you’ve erased everything from the Ngc folder.
1.2 Make a new PIN code
- Click Account settings in the Settings app.
- Click Add a PIN under Sign-in Options.
- To add a new PIN, follow the instructions.
Using the Command Prompt, you may also reset permissions on the Ngc directory. This way is quicker, but it need some command-line experience.
1.3 Using Command Prompt, reset permissions on the Ngc folder.
- In Windows search, type cmd and choose Run as administrator from the Command Prompt menu. (If Command Prompt isn’t accessible, PowerShell may be used instead.)
- Enter the following command into Command Prompt and press Enter to execute it: ICACLS * /T /Q /C /RESET ICACLS * /T /Q /C /RESET ICACLS * /
You should be able to access the Ngc directory without issue after executing this command.
Several people believe that resetting permissions on the Ngc directory would solve the issue.
It is not essential, they claim, to delete any data or to change your PIN.
2. Disable your antivirus software
Third-party programs, as previously stated, might cause problems with Windows 10. If your PIN isn’t functioning, it’s possible that your antivirus software is at blame.
To resolve the problem, temporarily remove your antivirus and see if it resolves the issue.
It is recommended that you utilize specialist uninstaller software to thoroughly remove your antivirus program, including all related files and registry entries.
Some files, such as temp files or installation wizards, are often left behind by built-in uninstallers. Because these remnants might create more mistakes, it’s essential to make sure they’re all gone.
Any leftover file connected to the program you wish to uninstall may be readily detected and removed using uninstaller software. They’re absolutely secure, speedy, and don’t take up too much of your computer’s resources.
The most prevalent source of this issue, according to users, is Norton antivirus, although other antivirus software may also cause it.
3. Make a new PIN.
3.1 Discard your PIN
- Using the Windows Key + I shortcut, open the Settings app.
- Go to the Accounts section of the menu.
- Navigate to Sign-in choices in the left pane. In the right pane, scroll down to the PIN area and select Remove.
- You’ll be asked to confirm that you wish to erase your PIN by Windows. Remove the item by clicking on it.
- You’ll be prompted to enter your account password at this point. Click OK when you’ve entered it.
Your PIN will be removed as a result of this action. All you have to do now is re-set it.
3.2 Create a new PIN.
- In the PIN area, click the Add button.
- Click OK after entering the required PIN.
If your Windows 10 PIN isn’t functioning, you may be able to solve it by simply rewriting it. The problem was rectified, according to users, by simply erasing and recreating your PIN.
The issue should be totally rectified after generating a new PIN.
4. From the login page, choose Sign-in choices.
You may not be able to log in at all if your PIN isn’t functioning with Windows 10. Several customers noted that by clicking on Sign-in alternatives, they were able to get around the difficulty.
You may select between using a PIN or a password to log in.
Several customers claimed that they were able to switch to password login by merely clicking the Tab key on their keyboard.
After that, you may go to Sign-in choices and choose PIN login from the drop-down box. This is a simple fix that seems to work according to users, so give it a go.
5. Make use of I misplaced my PIN option
- Navigate to the Accounts area of the Settings app.
- In the left pane, choose Sign-in choices. Scroll down to the PIN area and choose I forgot my PIN from the drop-down menu.
- A message of confirmation will display. Continue by pressing the Enter key.
- Now type in a new PIN and hit OK.
Many people have stated that PIN in Windows 10 does not work for them. However, they were able to come up with a straightforward solution to the issue.
Users claim that all you have to do to solve this issue is choose the I forgot my PIN option. Follow the methods outlined above to do this.
Several customers claimed that in order to continue, they were prompted to provide their Microsoft account password. The password, however, was rejected by Windows 10.
If this occurs, change your Microsoft account to a local account and try again with this solution.
6. Remove Dell Data Protection protection software.
Because of third-party security mechanisms, your PIN may not operate correctly at times.
Dell consumers stated that their PC’s PIN was not functioning, and the major culprit was Dell Data Protection security technologies.
Expert Tip: Some PC problems, such as damaged repositories or missing Windows files, are difficult to resolve. If you’re having problems repairing a mistake, it’s possible that your system is partly broken. Restoro is a tool that will scan your computer and determine the source of the problem. To download and begin mending, go here.
Users claim that uninstalling these tools from your computer would solve the issue. In order to resolve this issue, you must uninstall three Dell Data Protection programs.
It is suggested that you clear your registry and delete any residual entries connected to these tools after deleting them.
We’ve previously discussed the best registry cleanup software, so you may clear your registry using any of those applications.
All you have to do now is rebuild your PIN using the methods from Solution 3. After that, the issue should be rectified, and your PIN should begin to operate.
7. Revert to a prior build.
- Click the Power symbol in the Start Menu, then press and hold the Shift key while selecting Restart from the menu.
- Now you’ll see a selection of possibilities. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options from the drop-down menu.
- Select See additional recovery possibilities from the drop-down menu.
- Make a click on Return to the previous build and choose the administrator account you want to use. Enter your administrator password if it is necessary.
- When you’re ready to begin, choose Go back to prior build from the drop-down menu.
- The procedure will now begin. Keep in mind that this might take a few of hours to finish, so don’t try to rush it.
After installing a fresh version of Windows 10, some difficulties might arise. There may be some flaws in new builds that cause this issue.
If the PIN does not function with Windows 10, you may need to revert to an earlier version. This is a reasonably straightforward task that may be accomplished by following the procedures outlined above.
It’s also worth noting that the option to roll back isn’t always present. This option is accessible for a few days after a large update is installed.
If you ran a Disk Cleanup after the upgrade, the previous version of Windows may have been erased, and you won’t be able to restore it.
Although this isn’t the most dependable method, numerous people have mentioned that reverting to an earlier release cured their problems, so you may want to give it a go.
8. Make use of the keyboard that appears on the screen.
If your PIN isn’t functioning on Windows 10, try using the on-screen keyboard to solve the issue.
You may utilize the virtual keyboard button on the login screen to enable the on-screen keyboard.
After that, enter your PIN using the virtual keyboard. This is a basic workaround, but a few people have claimed that it works, so give it a go.
9. Remove the battery from your laptop for the time being.
Several customers stated that merely unplugging their laptop battery solved the issue.
They took the battery and detached the laptop from the power connector, according to users.
They returned the battery after that, and the issue was rectified. This is an uncommon solution, but it seems to work for a few people, so give it a go.
Create a local account if you haven’t already.
10.1 Make a local account out of your Microsoft account.
- Go to the Accounts area of the Settings app.
- Instead, choose Sign in with a local account.
- Click Next after entering the appropriate name for the new account.
- After that, click Sign out to complete the process.
If your PIN isn’t functioning, it might be because of an issue with your user account. It’s possible that your user account has been corrupted, resulting in this issue.
To resolve the problem, change your Microsoft account to a local account. You may do so by following the procedures outlined above.
The issue with your PIN should be addressed after that.
If the problem continues, your user account may be corrupted, and you will need to establish a new one.
10.2 Make a new account for yourself.
- Navigate to Accounts in the Settings app.
- Choose Family & Other People from the left-hand menu.
- From the Other persons area, choose Add someone else to this PC.
- Select This person’s sign-in information is not in my possession.
- You may add a user who does not have a Microsoft account.
- Click Next after entering the appropriate username.
After that, go to the local account and see whether the problem still exists there. Otherwise, you may have to transfer your personal data to the new account and use it as your primary account.
11. Modify your Group Policy options.
- Enter gpedit.msc by pressing Windows Key + R. Click OK or press Enter.
- When Group Policy Editor appears, go to Administrative Templates, then System and Logon in the left pane.
- Double-click Turn on convenience PIN sign-in in the right pane.
- To save the changes, choose Enabled and then Apply and OK.
Users noted that by making a few adjustments to their Group Policy, they were able to resolve the PIN issue.
The Group Policy Editor is a handy function that enables you to adjust numerous system settings; unfortunately, it is not accessible in Windows Home editions.
This solution isn’t applicable if you’re using the Home version. Follow the steps outlined above to make modifications to the Group Policy.
The issue should be rectified after making the required adjustments, and you should be able to use PIN without any issues.
12. Modify the IPsec Policy Agent’s startup type.
- Enter services.msc by pressing Windows Key + R.
- Click OK or press Enter.
- Now you’ll see a list of services. To access the properties of IPsec Policy Agent, double-click it.
- To save the changes, set the Startup type to Automatic and click Apply and OK.
Windows relies on a number of services to function correctly. If the PIN isn’t functioning, you may be able to solve the problem by altering the IPsec Policy Agent service’s Startup type.
To do this, follow the steps outlined above. Restart your computer after making the required modifications to see whether the issue has been repaired.
13. During the PIN step, restart your computer.
- Press and hold the ON/ OFF button for 20 seconds if your PIN isn’t being accepted.
- Return your PC to its original state.
- When the PIN dialog box displays, enter your PIN’s initial digit and press Enter.
- To erase the digit, use the Backspace key on your keyboard.
- Click the Power button in the bottom right corner of your screen to turn off your computer.
- If a notice comes stating that someone else is using the computer, click Shut down anyhow.
- Restart your computer and input your PIN to check whether it works this time.
This approach is suitable for those who have had their PIN refused but are certain that it is accurate.
If you don’t want to remember lengthy passwords, the PIN is a good choice; nonetheless, PIN complications like these sometimes arise.
If your PIN and password aren’t functioning, it’s possible that your keyboard layout has changed. Or maybe something went wrong and your PIN is no longer valid.
You may be unable to log in to Windows 10, but we have previously written about what to do if you are unable to log in to Windows 10.
Not being able to use your PIN may be quite inconvenient, and users have experienced a number of similar PIN-related issues. The following are the most typical versions of this issue:
- Your PIN isn’t accessible because something went wrong — This is a common occurrence of this issue, and there are numerous solutions.
- Something went wrong with the Windows Hello PIN — If you run across this problem, remember that it may be addressed using one of our earlier solutions.
- Sorry, but this PIN isn’t working for your company; if that’s the case, try erasing the contents of the NGC folder to see if it works.
- Adding a PIN in Windows 10 does not work – This is another widespread issue with Windows 10. You may not be able to add your PIN at all if this situation occurs.
- After a significant Windows update, several customers claimed that their PIN was no longer functioning. Many changes come with new updates, and these changes might occasionally alter your PIN.
- PIN for Windows 10 is wrong – The wrong PIN problem is another issue that may arise with PIN codes on Windows 10. This is most certainly a problem, and using our methods, you should be able to solve it.
- PIN code cannot be added in Windows 10 – Many Windows 10 users have reported being unable to add a PIN code. They claim they are compelled to utilize a password login instead.
- PIN not displaying on Windows 10 — A number of customers have noticed that their PIN isn’t showing up at all on Windows 10. You may not even see the PIN portion in certain more extreme circumstances.
- Laptop PIN isn’t functioning HP, Acer, Dell, Toshiba, and Asus are just a few of the brands available. This problem, according to users, may affect practically any laptop. This issue has been reported on a variety of models from major manufacturers like as HP, Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Asus, and others.
Are you still experiencing problems? Use this tool to fix them:
- Download this TrustPilot.com-rated PC Repair Tool (download starts on this page).
- To detect Windows faults that may be causing PC difficulties, click Start Scan.
- To repair faults with Patented Technologies, click Repair All (Exclusive Discount for our readers).
This month, 0 readers have downloaded Restoro.
Was this page of assistance to you? 597
Thank you very much!
There are insufficient details It’s difficult to comprehend Other Speak with a Professional
There are 12 responses to this post.
The “https www kapilarya com fix pin not working in windows 10” is a website that offers solutions to common problems. This article will provide you with the solution for your problem.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix my PIN isnt available Windows 10?
A: To fix your PIN is not available, you can try the following steps. 1) Make sure the phone has enough battery power. If it does, plug in and let it charge for at least 15 minutes before unplugging again. Windows 10 will sometimes use an incorrect password if theres no power in the system when entering a new one or changing an existing one., 2) Press CTRL + ALT+ DELETE on your keyboard to open up Task Manager (or press Ctrl+Alt+Delete with mouse). Find something named “Microsoft-Server Security Service” under processes tab that looks like this : \services\WsManSvc,, 3) Right click on Microsoft-Server Security Service then select Restart from menu..
What do you do if your PIN isnt working?
A: If your PIN is not working, please try pressing the button on your headset to reset it. You can also contact Sony support at https://www.playstation.com/support
- windows 10 pin not working forgot password
- windows hello pin this option is currently unavailable
- microsoft pin not working
- microsoft pin reset
- your pin is required to sign in windows 10