One of the most common ways to transfer data between computers is via email. If you have an Outlook account, then it’s much easier to import PST files directly into your Office 365 mailbox and organize them in a folder that automatically syncs across devices with just one click. But what if you don’t use Microsoft products?
The “import pst to outlook online” is a useful tool that can be used to import PST files into Office 365. The tool is available through the Outlook Web Access and can also be found in the Tools menu.
What is the procedure for importing PST files into Office 365? Maybe you’re starting with a fresh Office 365 tenancy and wish to migrate to Exchange Online. It’s a good idea to export the PST files and modify the DNS records if your company is tiny. Then, upload the PST file to Office 365. You’ll discover how to import PST files into Office 365 in this post.
How to Import PST Files from Office 365
Follow the steps below on How to Import PST Files from Office 365 step by step:
1. Assign the function of Mailbox Import Export.
To create import tasks in the Microsoft 365 compliance center and import PST files to user mailboxes, you must be given the Mailbox Import Export role in Exchange Online. This position isn’t assigned to any role groups in Exchange Online by default.
Create import tasks in the Microsoft 365 compliance center and import PST files to user mailboxes by assigning the Mailbox Import Export role in Exchange Online:
- Select the tab. Permissions
- Select the role of Mailbox Import Export from the drop-down menu.
- Save the file.
It may take up to 24 hours for the modification to take effect. However, it will usually work within an hour.
2. Set up a PST import job
Follow these steps to establish a PST import task in Microsoft 365 Compliance Center:
If you don’t notice a New import job, it implies you’ll have to wait until the preceding steps’ changes take effect.
Assign a name to the import job. Next should be selected.
Select Upload your information. Next should be selected.
Select Show network upload SAS URL from the drop-down menu.
To copy the SAS URL, click Copy to clipboard. In the following step, you’ll need the SAS URL.
The PST files will be uploaded to Office 365 using the AzCopy command-line program in the following phase.
Note: Do not cancel the import task since you will need to return to this window to complete it. If you cancel the import task, you’ll have to repeat the process.
3. Drag and drop PST files into Office 365
Install AzCopy (Microsoft) or AzCopy (direct) in the C:Temp folder. There is no need to install AzCopy V10 since it is merely an executable file.
Examine the PST files’ location.
The PST file in our case is located at C:TempPSTs on the local disk.
The source directory on the share (yourserverPSTs) or local disk may be used (C:PSTs).
- As an administrator, open Command Prompt.
- C:Temp is the new directory.
- To copy the PST file to Azure, use the command.
C:>cd C:Temp C:Temp>azcopy.exe copy “C:TempPSTs” “https://e5c2666294514f92b02da36.blob.core.windows.net/ingestiondata?sv=2015-04-05&sr=c&si=IngestionSasForAzCopy202201091916203434&sig=KF5CRE4YM65BLHgYtw%2BY0knNc%2ByNB%2B8w7aAfRXt8sT8%3D&se=2022-02-08T19%3A16%3A22Z” –recursive
This is what the output will look like.
INFO: Scanning is in progress… INFO: Because the source and/or destination do not provide complete folder support, any empty folders will not be handled. 37cf8d63-d431-e143-78c2-e3a9b85d0d7e is a new job. The log file may be found at: C:Usersadministrator.EXOIP.azcopy37cf8d63-d431-e143-78c2-e3a9b85d0d7e.log INFO: The length of the destination could not be read. Use —check-length=false on the command line if the destination is write-only. 99.5 per cent 1 Total, 2-sec, 0 Done, 0 Failed, 1 Pending, 0 Skipped 26.7263 MB/s throughput Summary of job 37cf8d63-d431-e143-78c2-e3a9b85d0d7e Time elapsed (minutes): 20.6073 The total number of file transfers is one. Transfers of Folder Properties: 0 Total number of transfers: 1 Total number of completed transfers: 1 Total number of failed transfers: 0 0 transfers have been skipped. TotalBytes 4673750016 has been transferred. Final Status of the Project: Completed
PST files cannot be uploaded or modified using the Azure Storage Explorer. AzCopy is the only technique for importing PST files that is supported. You can’t remove PST files that have been uploaded to an Azure blob, either. If you attempt to remove a PST file, you’ll get an error message saying you don’t have the necessary rights.
4. Look at the PST files that have been uploaded to Office 365.
Follow these steps to install the Azure Storage Explorer and connect to your Azure Storage area:
The Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer utility is available for download and installation.
- Open the Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer application.
- Right-click Storage Accounts and choose Properties.
- Connect to Azure Storage by clicking on it.
Select the Blob container by clicking on it.
Choose a URL for shared access signatures (SAS). Next should be selected.
- Insert a name for the display
- Paste the SAS URL for the Blob container that you got in the previous step.
- Next should be selected.
Connect by clicking the Connect button.
The PSTs folder and the PST file will be visible.
Note: All PST files in your Azure storage space are instantly destroyed. If no import tasks are in ongoing, the ingestiondata container’s PST files are removed 30 days after the most recent import job was initiated.
Proceed to the following step now that you’ve confirmed the PST files are in Azure storage.
5. Create an import mapping file for PST files.
Directly download a copy of the PST import mapping file or (Microsoft).
Edit the values in the file using your preferred CSV editor. It’s Microsoft Excel in our case.
You may modify the values in the CSV file using Notepad.
Keep an eye on the values and what you need to set:
- Workload: This parameter specifies the service to which data will be imported. Use Exchange to import PST files into user mailboxes.
- FilePath: Specifies the folder path in Azure Storage where the PST files were uploaded.
- Name: This parameter specifies the name of the PST file that will be imported into the user’s mailbox. This parameter’s value is case-sensitive.
- The email address of the mailbox to which the PST file will be imported is specified here.
- IsArchive: Indicates whether the PST file should be imported into the user’s archive mailbox. Set the value to FALSE or TRUE. If you choose TRUE, make sure the user’s archive mailbox is turned on.
- TargetRootFolder: The mailbox folder to which the PST file will be imported. If you leave this option blank, the PST file will be imported into a new folder at the root level of the mailbox called Imported (the same level as the Inbox folder and the other default mailbox folders). The PST file’s folders and contents are imported to the top of the folder hierarchy in the destination mailbox or archive if you select /. Items and folders from the PST file are imported into a folder called foldername if you provide /foldername.
The remaining fields in the CSV file are optional and may be left blank.
6. Navigate to the PST import mapping file.
Go back to the PST import job, check both the boxes, and Next should be selected..
- Select the mapping file by clicking on it.
- Go to the PSTImportmappingFile.csv file and open it.
- Validate should be selected.
It shows a green text, which means that it’s valid. Next should be selected..
Examine the PST import process. Submit the form.
The upload to the cloud was successful. After that, click Done.
You’re not done yet because there’s one more thing to do. This is how you begin the PST import into Office 365.
7. Begin importing PST files into Office 365.
You must wait for the analysis process to finish before you can begin importing the PST file into Office 365. The Import finished progress will then be shown, and you will be able to:
- Choose the radio option next to Import Job.
- Select Import to Office 365 from the drop-down menu.
Select No, I want to import everything. Next should be selected..
Then press the Submit button.
The upload to the cloud was successful. After that, click Done.
You must wait for Microsoft to approve your request and begin the process. There is no way to force a PST import into Office 365.
8. Check the progress of the PST import task.
Click on the Import Task in the list view to check the status of the PST import job. Then, double-check that the PST import task is shown as done.
A PST file was successfully loaded into Office 365.
You now know how to open PST files in Office 365. When it comes to uploading PSTs to Office 365, there are a few procedures to follow. However, with AzCopy and Microsoft 365 compliance, this is the best option to import PST files into Office 365. It’s preferable than importing the PSTs into each Outlook client separately.
Did you find this article to be interesting? You may also be interested in Office 365’s Send from Alias feature. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and share this content.
The “upload pst to office 365 without outlook” is a process that can be very difficult. However, the “Import PST to Office 365” is an application that allows users to import their PST files into Office 365 without Outlook.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I Import PST files into Office 365?
A: If you want to import your PST files into Office 365, the process is simple. First download an Outlook PST converter software such as one from www.pst-converter.com/.
Can Office 365 use PST files?
- import pst to office 365 powershell
- import pst to outlook
- office 365 import tool
- how to enable pst files in outlook 365
- import pst file from outlook 2010 to office 365